Welcome to the Legacy Alumni Foundation Homepage where you will find:
- An Introduction To The Legacy Alumni Foundation (LAF)
- Messages for Alumni and Alumni Parents
- LAF News & Events
- LAF Projects
- Legacy Alumni Facebook Page
INTRODUCING LAF: The Beginnings of the Legacy Alumni Foundation
The Child School/Legacy High School is growing and expanding—and doing it rapidly and in a variety ways.
- We have reached a total enrollment of over 300 students and 160 teachers and staff members.
- We are expanding into more space on Roosevelt Island.
- We have added programs to both meet the academic needs of our students and to challenge their abilities to develop friendships and social networks.
An Important Role for LAF
Our School Community continually explores new ways of learning and sharing. An integral part of this exploration is outreach to our graduates and their families. Teachers and staff members are always eager to connect with returning alumni. LAF will strive to develop a place where networking with alumni, colleagues and former teachers will be ongoing. We hope to offer both connection and practical feedback on common questions such as post high school programs. We will be interested in Alumni members' suggestions for the LAF development and will explore and share relevant new ideas about "Life after Legacy." We will invite you to continue to give back to current students and their parents.
ALUMNI—Time for a Good LAF
If you are either a Legacy graduate or becoming one, you are invited to the LAF. LAF is a new Legacy HS organization for you. LAF's mission is to make sure you feel welcome when you return, whether to catch up with old friends, talk with graduating students, look for internships or reach out to new mentors.
Currently, Legacy graduates most often return for homecomings and to make presentations to parents. The LAF will continue these traditional offerings and explore new horizons. Does this sound like a good LAF to you? Hey, it will become a reality with a little help from our Legacy friends (including you.) Please regularly look for updates on our Alumni Facebook and the LAF link at www.thechildschool.org.
ALUMNI PARENTS—STAY IN TOUCH
Many parents don't say "Farewell" to Legacy on Graduation Day. They stay in touch with Legacy teachers and fellow parents for a variety of reasons. They contact trusted faculty members with questions about their children’s post-Legacy academic progress. They contact other parents of graduates to see how former classmates are faring and to share stories and experiences about their children’s current school experiences. LAF plans to expand offerings to parents of graduates, including an ongoing connection system to other parents. LAF will deliver news about timely and meaningful events.
If you are interested in staying connected to Legacy faculty, alumni and parents, please make sure to update your contact information and support our new venture by contributing questions and ideas. If you have some time, please volunteer to work with LAF.
CONTACT AND SUPPORT US
Please visit our Alumni Facebook page and the Legacy Alumni Foundation link often for updates. Email us your own news, suggestions, comments and ideas. Send us photos other media, art work and writing. And as our name says, LAF loves a good laugh, so send us your jokes too!
NEWS & EVENTS
Annual Winter Homecoming
Alumni Homecoming Day was held on January 4th. (See "Photos, Fall, 2011). Twenty alumni members and their former teachers, administrators and staff members had refreshments and spent time catching up with each other and with Legacy news. Alumni members were asked to update their contact information and indicate their Spring Recess schedules. LAF will coordinate event schedules during weeks when most of our alumni will be in the Roosevelt Island area (If you did not attend the Homecoming, we missed you. Please send us your Spring schedule and you will be included in the next event.)
What's New at Legacy?
Legacy provides a "tour" for interested visitors. Daniel Leinweber, Legacy alumni member and Pace student,and Joe Strong, Legacy alumni and Temple University student, accompany LAF members on a tour, where they see and hear about changes and new activities, including:
- The monitor in the main lobby to document current activities and events. "Rachel's Challenge" is featured this month.
- Dedicated office space for Legacy service providers. Students no longer leave Island House for services.
- The reconfigured kitchen, for making daily lunch, event meals and holding curriculum related classes.
- A dedicated computer lab connected to Legacy Library for high school students only.
- Smart Boards in all classrooms in all three divisions of TCS/Legacy.
- Active Legacy HS Student Council, which coordinates fundraisers, video game competitions, and Council agendas. Students are responsible for making their goals happen, and have a lot of freedom to work on their own collective projects. Students now make and distribute all student ID photos.
- Student programs and curriculum result from collaborations between students, administration and teachers.
Will you help us? LAF invites you to participate in our following activities:
- Alumni Mentoring – What kinds of mentoring options would be most helpful to the Legacy Alumni throughout transition periods. Please give us your opinion.
- Media Archive – We are gathering photos and videos of TCS/Legacy Life since inception.
- Join us on the Legacy Alumni Facebook Page to share stories and memories of your times at Legacy and your ideas and thoughts on what's to come...