The Guidance Counselors at Legacy High School work with all students to address their academic, personal, and career needs as an integral part of their education. Counselors work collaboratively with families, teachers, and administrators to implement strategies that meet students’ individual needs. Academic advisement, college and post-secondary preparation, and consultation with parents all support student development.
Thanks to small class sizes, the Guidance staff has the opportunity to become familiar with each and every student, guiding them with their strengths in mind and their interests at heart. Students are given the chance to discuss, explore and evaluate their abilities, needs, difficulties and aspirations.
The Guidance Counselors are dedicated to assisting students in building the tools necessary to become responsible, committed adults who can contribute positively to society.
- Identifying individual students’ goals for becoming a well-rounded student
- Personalized Post-Secondary Preparation and Planning
- Career Exploration/Vocational Opportunities
- Navigation through the College Application Process
- Transition from school to independent living
- Coordinate community service and volunteering opportunities
- Assistance with student conflict resolution and problem solving skills
- Academic Advisement
- SAT and ACT registration and accommodations
Links and Resources
Exam and Testing Documents
- www.collegeboard.org - Information about SAT, PSAT and accommodations. Register for SAT’s here, check scores, and send scores to colleges. A complete college search can be done on College Board. This site is recommended to find quick answers about each college.
- *Accommodations should be applied for prior to taking the SATs, preferably during the student’s 10th grade year. Please contact your child’s Guidance Counselor immediately for more information.
- www.actstudent.org - Information on taking the ACT including dates and accommodations.
- www.nysedregents.org - Information on the NY State Regents including test dates.
College Preparation Resources
- www.fafsa.ed.gov - File application for Federal Student Aid online, financial aid information. The FAFSA cannot be filled out until January 1st (of the year the student goes to college)
- www.suny.edu - Information on New York State Public Universities
- www.cuny.edu - Information on New York City Public Universities
- http://collegenow.cuny.edu- Legacy High School collaborates with LaGuardia Community College to offer students free college classes for college credit.
- https://www.commonapp.org/Login - Common Appis an undergraduate college admission application that applicants may use to apply to any of 517 member colleges and universities in 47 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, and United Kingdom.
- http://www.fastweb.com/ - Search for scholarships to receive help with college fees.
- http://www.acces.nysed.gov/vr/ - Acces-VR Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) offers access to a full range of employment and independent living services that may be needed by persons with disabilities through their lives. Through its administration of vocational rehabilitation and independent living programs, VR coordinates policy and services relating to: transition and youth services for high school students and youth up to age 25 with disabilities from school and post school to adult services and vocational rehabilitation services for working age individuals with disabilities;
Community Service and Volunteering
- www.newyorkcares.org - Legacy High School partners with NY Cares to provide students with volunteer opportunities and service projects.
Legacy High School College Acceptances:
- Adelphi University
- Alabama Agricultural & Mechanical University
- Bennington College
- Buffalo State University
- Castleton State University
- Claflin University
- CUNY Borough Of Manhattan Community College
- CUNY Brooklyn College
- CUNY City Technical College
- CUNY College of Staten Island
- CUNY Hostos Community College
- CUNY Hunter
- CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice
- CUNY LaGuardia Community College
- CUNY Lehman College
- CUNY York College
- Farleigh Dickinson College
- Fordham University
- Gaucher College
- Iona College
- Johnson and Wales University
- Landmark College
- Long Island University, C.W.Post & Brooklyn
- Manhattan College
- Marymount College
- Mercy College
- Mitchell College
- Mount St. Vincent’s College
- Neuman College
- New York Institute of Technology
- New York University
- Pace University
- Palm Beach Community College
- Parsons School of Design
- Post University
- Pratt Institute
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- Sarah Lawrence College
- Seton Hall University
- St. Francis College
- St. John’s University
- St. Peter's College
- SUNY Albany
- SUNY Binghamton
- SUNY Cobleskill
- SUNY Fulton-Montgomery Community College
- SUNY Morrisville
- SUNY Nassau Community College
- SUNY New Paltz
- SUNY Stony Brook
- The Art Institute
- The Culinary Institute Of America
- The Fashion Institute Of Technology
- The School Of Visual Arts
- University of Hartford
- Virginia State University
- Wagner College